How the Club Began
Meet the Board
A Few Rules
Constitution and Bylaws
How the Club Began
Metro Dance Club DFW was originally the brainchild of Pauline Johnson Goetlitz. On January 19, 1976, Pauline and four of her friends met and agreed that single dancers in the Fort Worth area would enjoy a dance club. There were other thriving dance clubs, but this would be the singles’ own. In addition to Pauline (who was informally presiding), the group included Jess Carter, Al Cozzo and Garrett Middlebrook. They declared themselves the Founding Board of Directors and promptly acted on three resolutions:
1) The name of the new club would be “Singles Dancers’ Club”,
2) the club would hold one dance each month on the first Saturday night and
3) the club would meet at the Fred Astaire Dance Studio on Camp Bowie Boulevard until it was able to pay for a larger facility.
The Board of Directors planned to build the Club’s membership by sending invitations to other dancers, and asked the Studio to promote the new Club at dance classes and studio parties. The club’s first dance occurred on April 3, 1976.
In June, Betty Kelley joined the Board of Directors; membership was building, but there were no officers and the Club was being run by the Founding Board.
Married couples were invited to the dance at Colonial Country Club on January 22, 1977. At the next Board Meeting, the name was changed to Metro Dance Club. By the mid-80’s, membership had swelled to 600, and there was a waiting list for prospective members. Thanks to the succession of dedicated and enthusiastic officers, the Metro Dance Club continues to flourish. It still provides a wonderful setting for dancing and fellowship, for both single and married members.
In 2022 the Board made Metro Dance Club DFW the official name of the club.
Meet the Board Members
Our 2023 Board
Board Members in Photo, Left to Right
Suzy Ashmore: Recording Secretary
Mike Barton: Parliamentarian
Debbie Barton: 1st VP, Entertainment
Randy Eads: Treasurer
Kathryn Boulet Hoffman: 3rd VP, Publicity
Carolyn Hussey: President
Agnes Williams: 2nd VP, Membership
Return to Top of Page
|Sharon Reynolds||2020 – 2021|
|Denise Clark||2017 – 2019|
|Wayne Cutler||2015 – 2016|
|Jack Scott||2012 – 2014|
|Gracye Hobbs||2010 – 2011|
|Jewel Woods||2007 – 2008|
|Juanita Bumgardner||2005 – 2006|
|Rita “Sam” Cody||Sept. – Dec. 2004|
|Bob Williams* *Passed away in office – Sept 16, 2004|
|Nell Wilson||2001 – 2002|
|Jewel Woods||1998 – 1999|
|Frances Blankinship||1996 – 1997|
|Richard Jones||1993 – 1994|
|Jim Wyche||1991 – 1992|
|Vada Nelson||1989 – 1990|
|Elizabeth Maltby||1986 – 1987|
|Altus E. Hayes||1984 – 1985|
|George Noll||1982 – 1983|
|W. L. Bragg||1981|
|Pauline Goelitz||1979 – 1980|
|Tharon Connally||1977 – 1978|
A Few Rules
1) I (we) agree to conform to the dress rules set forth by the Board of Directors and posted on our website
2) I (we) agree to treat other members with courtesy and respect. I (we) agree to observe any “No Smoking” signs and other regulations posted in buildings rented for Metro Dance Club DFW’s dances.
3) I (we) understand that annual dues are due on a calendar year basis and agree to pay such dues within the allotted time between November 1 and December 31 of each year. I (we) understand that dues are non-refundable for any reason.
4) I (we) agree to notify the Recording Secretary or the President of any address change.
5) I (we) agree to hold harmless the Metro Dance Club DFW, its’ Officers and Board, for any accidents that might occur on or off the dance floor of any facility that the Metro Dance Club DFW has rented.
6) I (we) agree not to trespass in any private rooms that are not open to Metro Dance Club DFW members in any facility that the Metro Dance Club DFW has rented.
7) I (we) agree to explain the Rules and Regulations to any guests whom I (we) invite to any dance, and will request that such guests abide by the Rules and Regulations. I (we) also agree to explain the dress code to any invited guests.
8) I (we) understand that the Board of Directors may amend, change or add to the Rules and Regulations from time to time and that I (we) will be bound by such amendments, changes or additions.
Doors open at 7:00. Dance lessons, when offered, will start at 7:15. Dance admission includes the dance lesson. Dancing begins at 7:30 and ends at 10:30. Come early, stay late, and have fun.