How the Club Began
Metro Dance Club was originally the brainchild of Pauline Johnson Goetlitz. On January 19, 1976, Pauline and four of her friends met and agreed that single dancers in the Fort Worth area would enjoy a dance club. There were other thriving dance clubs, but this would be the singles’ own. In addition to Pauline (who was informally presiding), the group included Jess Carter, Al Cozzo and Garrett Middlebrook. They declared themselves the Founding Board of Directors and promptly acted on three resolutions:
1) The name of the new club would be “Singles Dancers’ Club”,
2) the club would hold one dance each month on the first Saturday night and
3) the club would meet at the Fred Astaire Dance Studio on Camp Bowie Boulevard until it was able to pay for a larger facility.
The Board of Directors planned to build the Club’s membership by sending invitations to other dancers, and asked the Studio to promote the new Club at dance classes and studio parties. The club’s first dance occurred on April 3, 1976.
In June, Betty Kelley joined the Board of Directors;membership was building, but there were no officers and the Club was being run by the Founding Board.
Married couples were invited to the dance at Colonial Country Club on January 22, 1977. At the next Board Meeting, the name ws changed to Metro Dance Club. By the mid-80’s, membership had swelled to 600, and there was a waiting list for prospective members. Thanks to the succession of dedicated and enthusiastic officers, the Metro Dance Club continues to flourish. It still provides a wonderful setting for dancing and fellowship, for both single and married members.
Meet the Board Members
Our 2020 Board
(L to R) Suzy Ashmore, Barbara Pardo, Peggy Parrot, Delores McCown, Denise Clark, Carolyn Hussey, Marian Woods, President Sharon Reynolds
1977 – 1978
1979 – 1980
W. L. Bragg
1982 – 1983
Altus E. Hayes
1984 – 1985
1986 – 1987
1989 – 1990
1991 – 1992
1993 – 1994
1996 – 1997
1998 – 1999
2001 – 2002
*Passed away in office – Sept 16, 2004
Rita “Sam” Cody
Sept. – Dec. 2004
2005 – 2006
2007 – 2008
2010 – 2011
2012 – 2014
2015 – 2016
A Few Rules
1) I (we) agree to conform to the dress rules set forth by the Board of Directors and posted on our website
2) I (we) agree to treat other members with courtesy and respect. I (we) agree to observe any “No Smoking” signs and other regulations posted in buildings rented for Metro Club dances.
3) I (we) understand that annual dues are due on a calendar year basis and agree to pay such dues within the allotted time between November 1 and December 31 of each year. I (we) understand that initiation fees and dues are non-refundable for any reason.
4) I (we) agree to notify the Recording Secretary or the President of any address change.
5) I (we) agree to hold harmless the Metro Dance Club, its’ Officers and Board, for any accidents that might occur on or off the dance floor of any facility that the Metro Dance Club has rented.
6) I (we) agree not to trespass in any private rooms that are not open to Metro Dance Club members in any facility that the Metro Dance Club has rented.
7) I (we) agree to explain the Rules and Regulations to any guests whom I (we) invite to any dance, and will request that such guests abide by the Rules and Regulations. I (we) also agree to explain the dress code to any invited guests.
8) I (we) understand that the Board of Directors may amend, change or add to the Rules and Regulations from time to time and that I (we) will be bound by such amendments, changes or additions.
Doors open at 7:00. Dance lessons, when offered, will start at 7:15. Dance admission includes the dance lesson. Bands play from 8:00 to 11:00. Come early, stay late, and have fun.